World Environment Day is celebrated globally on the 5th of June on an annual basis.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) created World Health Day in 1972.
The first World Environment Day which was held on 5th June 1974, this day has been used as a platform for raising awareness on the environment and specific environmental issues such as climate change, pollution, waste and conservation of threatened animals who are near extinction.
For 2022, the theme is “Only One Earth” which focuses on “living sustainably in harmony with nature”.
The hashtag which is being used this year is #OnlyOneEarth. According to the World Environment Day’s website: “With nature in emergency mode, the #OnlyOneEarth campaign for World Environment Day 2022, wants you to celebrate the planet through collective environmental action.
While our individual consumption choices do make a difference, it is collective action that will create the transformative environmental change we need, so we can advance to a more sustainable and just Earth, where everyone can flourish”.
How do I join in World Environment Day?
You can join in World Environment Day by:
- Lowering your carbon footprint – You can lower your carbon footprint by driving less, recycling, using bio-degradable alternatives to plastic, reusing plastics and converting food waste into compost.
- Sharing on social media – By sharing this article and other articles and information which details why World Environment Day is so important, it can collectively help our planet and those within it.
- Download the #OnlyOneEarth Practical Guide – The United Nations have created a practical guide to help with living sustainably. The #OnlyOneEarth Practical Guide is developed for World Environment Day.
According to World Environment Day’s website: “The #OnlyOneEarth Practical Guide outlines some of the transformative actions that organisations and people can take.” If you would like to download the #OnlyOneEarth Practical Guide, then please visit:
If I can’t join in World Environment Day, is there any other way to help?
If you would like to help, then please donate to a charity focused on improving the health of our planet, or a charity which is focused on sustainability, we have listed some charities below:
- Clean Air Task Force (CATF) – “Did you know that more than 70% of the emissions that cause global warming come from our energy system? Every year, the global energy system produces almost 40 billion tons of carbon dioxide emissions – pushing our planet toward irreversible tipping points.”
Clean Air Task Force’s main vision is to meet the world’s energy demand in a way that is financially and environmentally sustainable. If you would like to donate to the Clean Air Task Force, then please go to https://catf.us.
- WWF – “WWF is the world’s leading independent conservation organisation. Our mission is to create a world where people and wildlife can thrive together.”
The WWF works on multiple projects for conservation, fighting against climate crisis and much more. If you would like to donate to the WWF, then please go to https://www.support.wwf.org.uk/donate-to-wwf.
- UK National Association for Environmental Education (NAEE) – “NAEE has been promoting environmental educational in the UK for 50 years, supporting all those involved in its delivery, so that together we can understand and act on the need to live more sustainably in order to protect the future of our planet.”
If you would like to donate to the NAEE, then please go to https://naee.org.uk.
Reshape HR is here to assist. We work with a variety of clients based across the UK, so if you are looking for HR Advice or Payroll support or simply looking to run something past us, please do get in touch with us via:
T: 0141 471 5510